Did you know…?
- 90% of companies fail to execute strategy successfully
- Less than 42% of companies meet goals they set on change initiatives
- Only 5% of the workforce understands their company’s strategy
With numbers like that, it makes you wonder what on earth you can do to avoid falling into the same trap.
Seek commitment from your key players and team members.
Peter Drucker, says it this way: “Unless commitment is made, there are only hopes and promises, but no plans.”
So what can you do as a leader to create commitment among your team members?
The first, most important step, is to communicate clearly—especially when you’re seeking commitment around change initiatives. In my business coaching work I’ve found that business owner always mean well buts often only tell their employees part of what they need and want to know.
There are 6 critical questions employees want to know the answers to whenever they’re being asked to do something. I use these questions to guide me whenever I’m presenting a new project or a change in direction or just when I’m asking someone to do something. These 6 steps will insure your team’scrystal clear about vision, roles, and expectations…and can execute the strategy effectively.
|1.Reason||Compelling business reason for the change?|
|2.Vision||Your hope, aspiration, vision for the change?|
|3.Strategy||How will we execute the change?|
|4.Benefit||Benefit to your staff and customers? WIIFM?|
|5.Roles||What will the employee’s rolebe?|
|6.Resources||What resources will be available?|
Remember—commitment is crucial if you expect your people to do what you ask them to do. Simply asking, or telling, them what to do will only work for so long. As legendary football coach Vince Lombardi said: “Individual commitment to a group effort — that’s what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.”
How do YOU help encourage commitment on your teams?
Don’t miss my webinar “The CEO’s Guide to a Happy Team That Works Faster, Better, and at Less Cost” on Thur., Aug. 21. Register now and you’ll get:
- A team of people that work as hard in your business as you do
- Customers that come back again and again because of the unbelievable service they get at your company
- Top talent flocking to work for you because of the great camaraderie and high morale in your workplace
- A team that trusts each other,spends less time arguing, and more time supporting each other.
- Work that gets done faster, better, and at less cost… so you pocket more profit
Click here to register