Having a business plan is the single most important thing you can do as a business owner.
The 1-page strategic plan — NOT a multi-page document that you pay a consultant thousands to help you create and put dozens of hours of your own time into creating. Every quarter you hear me talk about creating your business’ 1-Page Strategic Plan and 90-Day Action Plan. I conduct a quarterly workshop on it.
Here’s where I get that…
“What is the underlying handful of fundamentals that drive everything else that’s important in business?” When Verne Harnish asked this question in his book Mastering the Rockefeller Habits, he found the same answer in 3 different places:
1. Parent Effectiveness Training – yes, he attended a PET program which summarized their 3 fundamentals, the first one of which was:
“Have a handful of rules”
2. Then he read the John D Rockefeller biography, Titan, which detailed Rockefeller’s leadership and management principles, the first one of which was:
“Priorities—have a handful of priorities and insure everyone in the organization has their own handful of priorities that align with the organization’s priorities.”
3. Around the same time, Harnish talked with the head of GE’s famous Crotonville executive training center and came away with 3 keys to GE’s success, the first of which was:
“In planning, you only have to define 2 points: where you plan to be 10 to 25 years from now and what you have to do in the next 90 days.”
So Harnish “triangulated” these 3 sets of fundamentals and the resulting “how to” was the “1-Page Strategic Plan—a framework that lets you see all the components of your business plan at once while insuring that you have all the short-term pieces to accomplish your long-term goals.
I believe it’s so important for every business owner that I run a quarterly workshop in central Indiana pricing it only to cover my cost. Business owners come together and help each other complete their 1-Page Strategic Plans. Many owners attend most every quarter to update their long-term plans and make new 90-Day Action Plans—it’s become their habit.
I invite you to join us. The day includes an educational period, work in small groups, a fun exercise, and we enjoy a nice hot lunch together. The 2nd quarter 2015 Growth Plan Workshop—
Fri., Mar. 27, 2015, 9—4pm
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport, 8910 Hatfield Dr., Indianapolis 46231
To register, click here.
You’ll walk away with:
- A clear picture of where you want your business to be in 10-30 years, a 3-5 year plan, a 90-day plan, & a ready-to-implement action plan to get you there
- Your 12-month goals broken into bite-size quarterly goals, monthly milestones, & weekly actions
- Strategies to build your profits right away
- A network of like-minded business owners
If you want, start to work on your 1-page strategic plan and 90-day action plan now and I’ll help you complete it at the session. Click here to download the 1-Page Strategic Plan form and instructions.