Do you have a problem with “trashy” thoughts?
No, not those kinds of trashy thoughts! 😉 I’m talking about thoughts that form the way you think about life, business, success, and your place in the world. Are they positive? Harsh? Optimistic? Reasonable? Judgmental? Lacking in confidence?
Positive thinking and healthy self-talk are actually business tools you can cultivate; by programming positive thoughts into your mind, you can influence your reality. Think about someone you know who’s constantly negative; someone who complains and makes excuses for their unhappiness. How successful are they? It’s likely their fears and doubts become reality in their world, right? Conversely, when you’re positive and proactive, you’ll be able to leapfrog obstacles and create success.
But it all starts in one place—your mind.
Here are some ways to clean up your thought life so you can get better results in your business:
- Become aware of your thoughts. Your first step is to begin to listen to the chatter bubbling just below the surface—your barely-conscious internal dialogue. One way to do this is to set a timer that goes off every 30-60 minutes. Stop what you’re doing and notice what you were thinking. Pay special attention to judgments or evaluations you were making. Write them down. Don’t do anything except simply noticewhat your thoughts are. After about a week, what pattern do you start to see?
- Put distance between yourself and your thoughts.There’s a great bumper sticker that said: “Don’t believe everything you think.” Once you’ve taken the time to notice your internal thought-stream, you can begin to put distance between yourself and your thoughts. This is called accessing your Compassionate Observer—a wise and kind part of you that can stand back from the stream of internal dialogue without being sucked in. Your thoughts are not YOU—they’re just thoughts, like clouds passing in the sky. You can see them there, notice their presence…but YOU decide whether or not to buy into them.
- Use the STOP technique.When you catch yourself thinking something negative, say the word “STOP!”—out loud if you’re alone, or simply say it in your mind. This interrupts the negative thoughts and gives you time to access your Compassionate Observer.
- Consciously replace the negative thought.Once you’ve STOPPED yourself from thinking something negative, replace it with something positive, such as: “I am NOT bad at budgeting; I simply haven’t made a habit of it yet.” Depending on the nature of your negative thoughts, another approach may be to carry notecards of inspirational quotes or scriptures; read and reflect on them in order to redirect negative thought patterns.
Clean up your thought-life and create positive, healthy thought habits that will help you be that inspirational leader your business needs.
When you change the way you think, you’ll change your results! We’ll help you create a long-term plan so you see, in concrete terms, what it’ll take to get from where you are now to where you want to be. Attend my Growth Plan Workshop and step out of the day-to-day business to get organized, complete a prescribed planning process, and walk away with an action plan.
In this fast-paced session, you’ll complete a 1-Page Strategic Plan, and then break it into quarterly, monthly, weekly, and daily goals. Get a line-of-sight from daily tasks to your 10-30 year purpose.
Enroll in Growth Plan Workshop.
In the 7-hour Growth Plan Workshop (including a delicious hot lunch!), you’ll get…
- A clear picture of where you want your business to be in 10-30 years…3-5 years…90 days…and what you need to do TODAY to get you there
- Your yearly goals broken into bite-sized action items
- The forward progress you need to reach the objectives you’ve set out for yourself
Click here to reserve your seat.
Growth Plan Workshop: Fri, Mar. 28, 2014 9:00—4:00pm
The Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport, 8910 Hatfield Dr., Indianapolis 46231
$247 at the door, $187 in advance, and FREE for clients. Register by Mar. 22.2014, and join as an early-bird for just $97.
Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts, and you’ll be shocked at the difference!